The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): Grant FAQ

1. What is the purpose of the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Like many of the other federally funded grants, the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is designed to offset tuition and related expenses for students with significant financial need. For more information on this and other need-based federal awards, visit this link: or call 1-800-433-3243.

2. How do I apply for the FSEOG award?

Students do not have to complete separate applications for the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. The only application form required is the standard Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application, go to the website ( To complete your FAFSA application, or update an existing FAFSA application, use the instructions provided in the “Fill out a FAFSA” section. A review of the completed FAFSA application will determine eligibility.

3. How do I know if I am eligible for the FSEOG award?

To receive this grant you must be a U.S. citizen, who has completed a FAFSA form, and is eligible based on significant financial need, and you must be a full time student enrolled in a college or university undergraduate program. If your completed FAFSA form is approved for SEOG grant funding, you will notified by the financial aid office of the post-secondary institution you are attending.

4. How much money can I get through this grant program?

The maximum grant available to eligible students is $4,000 per year, but you may receive funding in the amount of $100 to $4,000. The amount received by each student depends on the student’s financial need, the other financial aid awarded to the student, and the policies of the financial aid office of the school the student is attending.

5. How will I know if I am getting the FSEOG award?

You will be notified by email or by postal delivery if you are eligible. You will receive information about the amount of the award and you will be told if any other financial aid changes will be made by your school as a result of this award.

6. If I get FSEOG grant funding, how is it disbursed to me or to my school?

If you are eligible for funds, the Office of the Bursar will apply the grant award funding to your outstanding fees e.g. tuition, room and board, and other institutional charges, or you may receive a check in your name to be applied to these expenses. You may also be notified of a combined payment method, which involves partial payment to your school and partial payment directly to you via check.

7. What is the difference between a Pell Grant and the FSEOG?

We have an article dedicated to this, but in short, your Pell Grant eligibility affects your FSEOG eligibility.  You must get a Pell Grant in order to qualify for the FSEOG, so they are related to each other.  Read more about Pell Grants vs. FSEOG.